George Savage and Son (c. 1829-1845)1-1/2 in x 7 in x 2 in Rosewood, steel, ivory, silk, mother of pearl
Gift of Eliston Perot Walker in memory of Henry Cowgill Corbit1980.113
“H. C. CORBIT.” is cut into a mother-of-pearl plaque on the lid of the box. “GEO SAVAGE & SON / XX / PATENT TEMPR[D]” is stamped into each blade near the handle. “Excellent” with numbers 1 through 4 is engraved onto the top edge of each of four blades
H. C. Corbit was Henry Cowgill Corbit (1800-1851), the great, great grandfather of the donor and a cousin of Daniel Corbit (1796-1877).
The elegantly presented rosewood case, lined with red silk velvet, holds four straight razors, each with an ivory guard or case that unfolds to form a handle. Engraving across the spine of the razor blade includes leafy decorations and “Excellent,” indicating the high quality of the product. Similarly, the “XX” mark below the maker’s name indicated high quality.
The firm of George Savage and Son were clockmakers, silversmiths, and retailers of high quality merchandise. George Savage (1767-1845) moved from England to Montreal in 1818. The combination of clockmaking and silversmithing was practiced by some tradesmen, including Duncan Beard (died 1797) of Odessa. Given Savage’s English connections, he likely imported fine cutlery and razors from England and added his mark.