30-3/8 in x 19-7/8 in x 17-1/4 in (top is 15-3/8 in wide)
Mahogany, lightwood stringing
Historic Odessa Foundation, The David Wilson Mansion, Inc.
The block atop the turned standard is repaired at the hinge end and at the lock end.
Bequest of Dr. and Mrs. J. Newberry Reynolds to The David Wilson Mansion, Inc., in 1942.
This three-legged stand, often called a candlestand, has a hinged oval top and a pillar or shaft turned with a tapered column above an urn, atop a reel. A narrow ring or collar is turned at the top of the column. This sequence of turnings suggests manufacture in the greater Philadelphia region, although similar turnings were made elsewhere. The three ogee- or S-shaped legs slide into the base in dovetail-shaped channels. Inlaid stringing outlines the tops of the legs and the oval top.