Skip to main content

Plate (part of a partial tea and coffee service)

Search the Collection

Plate (part of a partial tea and coffee service)

England, possiblyLiverpool

1790-1820 5/8 in x 6-1/2 in (dia) Transfer-printed soft-paste porcelain

Historic Odessa Foundation, The David Wilson Mansion, Inc.

1971.757.19

The plate has light staining and wear to the gilded rim.

Ex coll. Mrs. E. Tatnall (Mary Corbit) Warner.  A note in her handwriting on a paper label applied to the underside of a saucer (acc. no. 1971.757.16) states that the tea and coffee service to which the plate belongs was acquired by Capt. James Jefferis for his daughter Ann, who married David Wilson Jr.

This small plate is part of a partial service of one slop bowl (1971.757.1), three coffee cups (1971.757.2-.4), a tea cup (1971.757.5), thirteen deep saucers (1971.757.6-.18), and four small plates (1971.757.19-.22).  The service is decorated with black transfer-printed designs of "Stately Homes," being images of English country houses and ruins.  This plate shows an image of a country house with a projecting central pavilion and a body of water in front with three animals on a strip of land.  The rim has a thick and a thin gold band around the outside edge.