John Warne4-3/8 in x 6-7/8 in x 4 in (dia) Pewter
Historic Odessa Foundation, David Wilson Mansion, Inc.1971.1488
The maker’s mark, “JOHN WARNE / BLKFRIAR” is stamped into the middle of the outside bottom. “Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese” is engraved into the front of the body.
The body has three dents.
Although no provenance has been recorded, this pitcher was catalogued in 1971 among a large body of objects acquired by Mrs. E. Tatnall (Mary Corbit) Warner. Alternatively, it may have been among items given to the David Wilson Mansion, Inc., in 1968 by Mrs. Charles Lee Reese Jr.
The shape of this small pitcher, notably the handle and spout, indicates late 19th century manufacture. The texture of the pewter also suggests a more recent alloy. The body has four bands of four score lines cut into and encircling the body.
John Warne was a member of a family line of pewterers working in London since 1793. This pitcher celebrates “Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese,” a London pub that predated the Great Fire of 1666 and is still standing. It was likely made as a souvenir.