Mid-Atlantic region, possibly Delaware
19 in (handle up) x 9-1/8 in (dia)
Historic Odessa Foundation, The David Wilson Mansion, Inc.
“BANK / 3” is painted on the side of the body.
The handle is broken at the center and at one ring. It is now supported by an inner mount. The paint survives in very good condition.
Probably ex coll. Mrs. E. Tatnall (Mary Corbit) Warner
Leather fire buckets have a long history of use. Filled with sand or water, several were used in times of need by teams of people against building fires. Fire buckets did not change much until their gradual replacement by vulcanized rubber buckets and later metal. Three pieces of information inform this bucket. First, its probable collection by Mary Warner of Odessa suggests that it may have been made and used locally. Second, the wording indicates that it was bucket number 3, presumably of several, used by a bank, of which there were few in the area until the mid-19th century. Third, the block lettering style suggests a timeframe no earlier than about 1825 and more likely in the 1830s and later. The yellow lettering is against a dark green field with dark red trim and handle.