Skip to main content

3-slat side chair

Search the Collection

3-slat side chair

Northeastern United States

1775-1850 40 in x 18-3/4 in x 14-3/4 in maple, splint seat

Historic Odessa Foundation, gift of H. Rodney Sharp.

1959.3838

The splint seat is a replacement.

Ex coll. H. Rodney Sharp

The three slats of this side chairs have gentle arches at the top and are cut straight across the bottom—a profile that was used very broadly in this utilitarian seating.  The finials, turned as a ball atop a flaring cone, may one day help localize where this utilitarian chair was made.  As usual in 18th century turned-chair construction, only the top slat is pinned to the posts. 

The blue-gray paint, now flaking, covers a red, which was probably the original painted surface.